not the rhino
Thursday, February 26, 2004
  Plus ça change...

Here's a poem, that I remembered enjoying a long time ago.

A Late Aubade

You could be sitting now in a carrel
Turning some liver-spotted page,
Or rising in an elevator-cage
Toward Ladies' Apparel.

You could be planting a raucous bed
Of salvia, in rubber gloves,
Or lunching through a screed of someone's loves
With pitying head,

Or making some unhappy setter
Heel, or listening to a bleak
lecture on Schoenberg's serial technique.
Isn't this better?

Think of all the time you are not
Wasting, and would not care to waste,
Such things, thank God, not being to your taste.
Think what a lot

Of time, by woman's reckoning,
You've saved, and so may spend on this,
You who had rather lie in bed and kiss
Than anything.

It's almost noon, you say? If so,
Time flies, and I need not rehearse
The rosebuds-theme of centuries of verse.
If you must go,

Wait for a while, then slip downstairs
And bring us up some chilled white wine,
And some blue cheese, and crackers, and some fine
Ruddy-skinned pears.

- by Richard Wilbur


Ah yes. I didn't even like blue cheese in high school when this poem first made me smile!

It is no secret that I love to sleep, and stay in bed. Several Christmases in a row during high school, I asked for bed accoutrements for my "big present" (aka the "santa present") -- I got pillows, a comforter, throw pillows... very exciting for me. At some point in college my ideal weekend day was a whole day spent in my big bed: le jour du grand lit! Not just sleeping, mind you, but eating yummy snacks, (in bed! shocking, I know...) and reading... etc. One of my current prized possessions is my down comforter. The more things change, the more they stay the same?
 
Comments: Post a Comment
i just don't know yet.

ARCHIVES
12.03 / 01.04 / 02.04 / 03.04 / 04.04 / 05.04 / 07.04 / 08.04 / 09.04 / 10.04 / 12.04 / 01.05 / 02.05 / 03.05 /


I know

spoons

The Boo

Elephant Larry

Knoblet

Spinning Mud

Tom 7

Jeff Solomon

Kaki King

Stridor

Twiin

I read

Mimi Smartypants

Defective Yeti

Cary Tennis

Dan Savage

Em & Lo

I like

Recipes

This American Life

Mike Doughty

Homestar Runner

MC Frontalot

Zingerman's

Penzeys

Find me on

Friendster

Orkut

Powered by Blogger