not the rhino
Sunday, April 04, 2004
  Oysters are not for breakfast.

Note to self: when you think "breakfast food," oysters are not really something that should come to mind. Why, you ask, would the thought even enter my silly, sleep-deprived brain? (Stupid Daylight Saving Time!)

Well, a bunch of the Chicago crew and I had brunch this morning at the Signature Room, which is on the 95th floor of the Hancock Tower. It was a gorgeous morning for it -- clear and blue -- so, even though many of us weren't really awake, the sunshine helped perk us up.

It was a brunch buffet, which seems like a particularly American style of eating brunch. It's almost like a food challenge. How much food of different types and sizes can you eat in one sitting? Start with eggs and toast, and move on the prime rib, roasted turkey, lobster bisque -- I dare you! Along with traditional breakfast consumables like french toast and omelets, we offer you crab legs! green salads! insane chocolate dessets! oysters on the half shell!

Wait a minute, I says to myself (I says I says) I says, "hold up." The crew who had organized this outing thought that the brunch was only $15 per person, but no $15 per person brunch has oysters. I grew a bit suspicous about how much I would be shelling out, (ha ha!) but it was a bit late for that. So, I tried the things that I wouldn't usually have at home: oysters, lox, various fish roe, applewood smoked bacon (so good!) crazy chocolate cake...

Those things don't really go together, though, and they also don't really go with OJ, or coffee which I had. I still feel a little ill from eating weird food. It wasn't bad food, itself, it just seemed like the wrong food at the wrong time. And when the bill came, suffice it to say that it wasn't $15 per. The morals of the story are that brunch at the Signature Room can be pretty fun, but, Moral 1: go on a Mon - Sat, when it's only 15 beans. And Moral 2: even if they have them, I'd skip the oysters.

Or! if you're looking for brunch, check out Orange. It's awesome.

And here's another quick thing about Daylight Saving(no "s") Time: I'm going back and forth between time zones now, when I go from Illinois to AA or Pittsburgh, so I change my laptop clock a lot. I was surprised to see that my laptop hadn't sprung-its-own-self ahead this evening, since I thought it was smart enough to figure that shit out. But! the computer was confused, because I don't usually set it to normal time zones, like "Eastern US" or "Central US" ... I like to be a bit more colorful and set it to Saskatchewan time or Guadalajara time or "Bogota, Lima, Quito" time. Apparently, by doing so, I foiled the DST algorithm, and once I switched to boring old Central Time, it sprung ahead. It's too bad I'm not in the Mountain Time zone -- I wouldn't feel the need to set the time zone more creatively, because, as Mike Doughty would say, Mountain Time is cool enough sounding on its own. Say it... "Mountain Time."  
Comments: Post a Comment
i just don't know yet.

ARCHIVES
12.03 / 01.04 / 02.04 / 03.04 / 04.04 / 05.04 / 07.04 / 08.04 / 09.04 / 10.04 / 12.04 / 01.05 / 02.05 / 03.05 /


I know

spoons

The Boo

Elephant Larry

Knoblet

Spinning Mud

Tom 7

Jeff Solomon

Kaki King

Stridor

Twiin

I read

Mimi Smartypants

Defective Yeti

Cary Tennis

Dan Savage

Em & Lo

I like

Recipes

This American Life

Mike Doughty

Homestar Runner

MC Frontalot

Zingerman's

Penzeys

Find me on

Friendster

Orkut

Powered by Blogger