not the rhino
Sunday, May 16, 2004
  Do it yo' self.

In Ann Arbor, there are lots of things that I have gotten attached to, that just don't exist in Batavia.

Thing 1: Good bread. I used to live on the same block as Zingerman's so I could walk there and get a fresh loaf of bread whenever. Or a half loaf. They are always nice about such things.

Now, there's OK bread at the grocery store nearby, but I think I can do better. I bought myself a bread stone for the oven, and I have a great book about bread by Peter Reinhart.

I tried to make a sourdough starter when I first got to the lab, but it didn't go well. I need to give it another shot.

Thing 2: Uncomplicated laundry soap that makes clothes really soft... A company called (what else?) MoonWorks sells laundry soap that I like at the co-op in Michigan. I bought an extra bag to bring with me, and the bags last a long time, but I realized that I could probably make it myself.

I found a laundry soap recipe with the same ingredients that they use online, and I think I'll try that once I run out.

2 cups baking soda
1.5 cups borax
1 cups grated castile or glycerin soap flakes*
3/8 tablespoon lavender, lemon, or grapefruit essential oil

Combine baking soda, borax, and soap flakes, add essential oil, and mix with a wire whisk. Use 1/8 cup of powder per load = 2 Tablespoons

*You can buy bars of castile soap (e.g. Dr. Bronner's) and grate with a kitchen grater.

I'll let you know how it goes.

5/22/04 - a note from eileen! She says to use washing soda instead of baking soda. As long as you are careful.  
i just don't know yet.

ARCHIVES
12.03 / 01.04 / 02.04 / 03.04 / 04.04 / 05.04 / 07.04 / 08.04 / 09.04 / 10.04 / 12.04 / 01.05 / 02.05 / 03.05 /


I know

spoons

The Boo

Elephant Larry

Knoblet

Spinning Mud

Tom 7

Jeff Solomon

Kaki King

Stridor

Twiin

I read

Mimi Smartypants

Defective Yeti

Cary Tennis

Dan Savage

Em & Lo

I like

Recipes

This American Life

Mike Doughty

Homestar Runner

MC Frontalot

Zingerman's

Penzeys

Find me on

Friendster

Orkut

Powered by Blogger